Authentication of Scotch Whisky
08jun2:00 pm3:00 pmAuthentication of Scotch Whisky
Inviting anyone working in the areas of product protection, authenticity, spirit drink analysis, product compliance & food safety. The IBD Scottish Section
The IBD Scottish Section invites members and guests to a webinar outlining of some of the work that is carried out by the Scotch Whisky Association (SWA) and the Scotch Whisky Research Institute (SWRI) in protecting Scotch Whisky in the UK and further afield
This webinar will benefit anyone working in the areas of product protection, authenticity, spirit drink analysis, product compliance and food safety.
Scotch Whisky is a premium global product and therefore a major target for illegal counterfeiters. As well as the concerns over their safety, counterfeit products result in a direct loss of sales and can be damaging to the reputation of genuine products.
Alan Park of the Scotch Whisky Association will discuss how the industry works with legal bodies across the world to ensure the integrity and protection of Scotch Whisky, for example by obtaining Geographical Indication status. The various means by which counterfeiters attempt to capitalise on the reputation of Scotch Whisky will be discussed, as will the defences the industry has against this type of activity.
Analysis is crucial to protect the consumer, brands and categories from counterfeit products. SWRI carry out this analysis on behalf of the SWA’s legal department. There are a variety of parameters or compounds that can be measured, all of which can be related back to production and regulation of that process. Shona Harrison (The Scotch Whisky Research Institute) will summarise the analytical techniques commonly used at SWRI for Scotch Whisky authentication.
- Alan Park, Director of Legal Affairs, Scotch Whisky Association
- Shona Harrison, Senior Scientist and Laboratory Manager, The Scotch Whisky Research Institute
Why You Should Attend:
- Discover the role of the Scotch Whisky Association (SWA) and the Scotch Whisky Research Institute (SWRI) in protecting Scotch Whisky
- Understand the defences put in place to protect the reputation of Scotch Whisky against counterfeit products
- Discover what analytical techniques are used to authenticate Scotch Whisky
Booking deadline: Until 1 hour before webinar starts
(Thursday) 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm(GMT+00:00) View in my time